- Constitutional limit of the state mileage rate on both real and personal property to 6.5 mills (of which 3 mills are dedicated to education).
- Business property, both real and personal, taxed on 20 percent of fair market value.
- Inventories and goods-in-process are not taxed.
- Pollution control equipment statutorily exempt from property taxation.
- Exemption of all tangible personal property being warehoused in Alabama for shipment to a destination outside the state.
Alabama Reinvestment and Abatements Act
- New Facility and Expansion
- Abatement of non-educational portion of sales and use taxes on construction materials.
- Abatement of non-educational portion of property tax for up to 20 years.
- Existing Facility: Refurbishments, Upgrades, or Placed Back in Service
- Abatement of non-educational sales and use taxes on construction materials and equipment.
- Abatement of non-educational property taxes for up to 20 years of the incremental property tax increases.
- Exemption from taxes for increased utility services for up to 10 years.
- AIDT worker training.
Jobs Act Incentives
- Jobs Credit
- Annual cash refund up to 3 percent of the previous year’s gross payroll for up to 10 years.
- For companies employing at least 12 percent veterans, up to an additional 0.5 percent credit is available for the wages of veterans.
- Up to an additional 1 percent job credit is available for companies in targeted counties.
- Investment Credit
- Credit of up to 1.5 percent of the qualified capital investment expenses for up to 10 years. Credit can be taken against the Alabama income tax liability and/or utility tax liability.
- Credit is available for up to 15 years for companies selling their output nearby.
- Five-year carry forward, three-year transferability
Sales and Use Taxes
- Four state rate differentials, which include a:
- 1.5 percent rate for manufacturing and farm machinery;
- 2 percent rate for automotive vehicles;
- 3 percent rate for food sold through vending machines; and
- 4 percent general rate for all other items.
- Raw materials used by manufacturers or compounders specifically exempt from sales and use taxation.
- Pollution control equipment statutorily exempt from taxation.
- Credit for sales and use tax paid to another state and its subdivisions.
- Exemption for quality control testing and donations to charitable entities.
- Abatements by cities, counties, and public authorities may include:
For qualifying industries, all state and the local non-educational portion of construction-related transaction (sales and use) taxes associated with constructing and equipping a project. For coal mining projects, half of the state sales and use tax may be abated.
- Utility gross receipts tax exemptions for:
- Sewer costs;
- Water used in industrial manufacturing in which 50 percent or more is used in industrial processing;
- Exclusions for utility services used in certain types of manufacturing and compounding processes;
- An electrolytic or electro-thermal manufacturing or compounding process;
- Natural gas which becomes a component of tangible personal property manufactured or compounded (but not used as fuel or energy);
- Natural gas used to chemically convert raw materials prior to the use of such converted raw materials in an electrolytic or electro-thermal manufacturing or compounding process.
- Increased utility tax for refurbishments, upgrades, or reopening of a facility.
Grants are available up to $150,000 to reimburse your company for costs associated with the preparation of a means to access a site as well as clearing, excavating, grading, drainage, and reasonable rehabilitation costs of buildings and other structures. The actual amount of the grant is based on the capital investment for the project.
Free Employee Training
The Alabama Industrial Development Training Institute is one of the premier recruitment and retention tools in the nation. Their mission is to screen train, and offer a workforce that will surpass the productivity of various companies’ workers in other states. Their slogan “Our attitude is priceless. Our training is free,” suggests that they will furnish potential employees (you choose from a group of trainees) that not only have the skills that you require but also have the outlook you desire. This all-inclusive, fully-customized training program is available at no cost. Absenteeism and turnover rates of less than 2% have been experienced throughout the first year by the 500+ companies that have utilized the AIDT system. Management seminars and expansion support are also available in future years.
More information can be found at alabamapower.com.
Utility Tax Credit
Under specific conditions, industries may be excluded from the state sales tax levied on electricity and natural gas if it is used by the manufacturer or compounder in an electrolytic or electro-thermal manufacturing or compounding process to convert raw materials prior to the use of the raw material. And from the sales tax levied on water, if at least 51% of the water consumed is used in the manufacturing process.